As the new year was approaching, I gave into the idea of coming up with some New Year’s resolutions to take better care of myself. I’ve started doing yoga and heard about a new meditation app = Headspace – so I decided to give it a try.
AND I LOVE IT!! Let me count the ways:
- It’s an app! – I have it with me all the time (there is also a website) – no excuses since there is nothing other than your phone needed
- It is guided! – I would have absolutely no idea how to go about meditating, and if I bought a book about it – I would spend way more time reading about how to do it than actually doing it
- It’s short! – For the first 30 days, it is only 10 mins a day – you can go longer after that if you want, or keep it at 10 mins.
- It is realistic! – He doesn’t chastise you when your mind wanders – he reminds you that this is common and teaches you how to let all those extra thoughts and distractions float away.
- It has given me some interesting insight about myself! – I really did think it would be easy to quiet my mind for 10 minutes at a time… NOPE! My mind is always going and wandering and thinking of the next thing. I hadn’t realized how much time I spend planning for the next step, rather than just being present in the moment.
And for those Type A folks who love goals – it keeps track of your run streak AND you get little ribbons for hitting certain goals!:
I was not consistent the first week – but have been practicing every day for the last 26 days!! Woohoo! I am absolutely determined to get to 30!!
There is also a blog with some interesting commentaries – about everything from meditation tips to advice on Sleep, Stress, Relationships…everything: Headspace Blog – The Orange Dot
“Being mindful does not mean moving in any special way or at any particular speed. It simply means being undistracted in whatever you are doing.” – Headspace
Check it out!! The first 10 sessions are free!!