I love to go grocery shopping – it combines my 2 passions! Food AND shopping!! And I love cooking and baking – spending 30 mins to create something delicious to share with others = instant gratification! But there are times when deadlines, being on-call, etc suck up sooooo much time. I queried some friends on what life hacks they use to save time!! Here are a handful:
I have personally chosen to prioritize making healthy meals – and am therefore willing to sacrifice my grocery store adventures and pay for some shortcuts. Some people prep a whole week’s worth of food on Sundays – kick others out of the kitchen, put on some lovely music, add a glass of vino – and go!
Grocery Store delivery services:
- Green Bean Delivery – Grocery and produce delivery company (only available in some states). It’s like a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), but with grocery stuff too. I plan out meals, sit on my couch and order them up, and then the waaa-laa! They show up at your door in a reusable green plastic tote!!
- Peapod – kinda similar, but without the same support for small businesses
- Or Instacart – delivery service for certain grocery stores in the area
- Amazon Prime Pantry or Prime Now – depending on location Prime Now will deliver goodies within 2 hours!
Prepared meal deliveries:
- Hello Fresh – prepackaged ingredients for planned meals with all the little bits to go with it (aka – teeny tiny bottle of vinegar ; ) )
- Freshly – prepared meals delivered!
- Terra’s Kitchen – they actually chop up everything for you and deliver in a fancy reusable vessel (their word, not mine)
Other food ideas: I’ve heard that you can find personal chef’s on message boards such as at Whole Foods or on local sites (like Nextdoor) – then you can have them prep or make meals as your needs fit.
Some of my friends swear by their cleaning service – that it is a lifesaver. Depending on whether you are a “constant tidy-upper” or a “wait until it’s so gross” kinda person, you may or may not see this as necessary. My hubby and I always were trying to beg the other to get around to vacuuming (neither of us love doing it, but with 2 cats – it’s necessary!). So instead of hiring a cleaning service, we bought a Roomba!! Best purchase of the year – for sure! But, if you are scrubbing toilets on a Saturday instead of spending time with your family/children – maybe finding a cleaning service is a great idea!
For those of us forced to wear business clothing on a regular basis – consider checking to see if your local dry cleaner has a pick up/delivery service. One less thing on your never ending to-do list!
I have thought this and I have heard many of my friends say the same thing – “but my mom/dad was able to do this all without help…why can’t I?” Well, you probably can, but are you also making time for yourself? If not, consider trying one (or all) of these out!
Did I miss any life hacks to save time that you love or are tried and true? Let me know!